Friday, November 6, 2009

Cloud Computing - Future Business?

Are you bored of getting rid of virus from your PC? Do you feel if there could be cheap softwares for day to day use instead of frantically using pirated versions? Are you fed up of hard disk crashes and losing your data? Have you felt the need of having your personal data while you travel anywhere in the world without carrying your own desktop or laptop? How many of you stop using your computer when the internet is down!? How many of you search the songs on YouTube though you have a copy on your own machine?

I think it's time when someone will take the advantage of Cloud computing and become as big companies as Google or Facebook. Cloud computing is Web-based processing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices (such as smart phones) on demand over the Internet. The technology has been already in use in the corporate world. It's not yet made available to the public. I have used softwares like Citrix where all my personal data and softwares are not stored in the machine I am using, instead on a server. So is the data of 400 colleagues in my office. My office desktop CPU hardly has any hard disk hence it's so thin like an Apple iPad!

What if there is some service provider where they charge you a minimal sum for the services I mentioned above? Then we don't have to carry our laptop all the time to access our data. We can have all our data on a secured server located somewhere in the world and we will be allocated some memory (as much as we have in our laptop) for some price and it should be only accessible by a secure password or RSA tokens!!
Moreover we don't have to buy daily use software like Microsoft office, photoshop etc as they will be installed on the server and we just have to pay a price shared by say 1000 people around the world for single software!!

This way the piracy can be reduced and the individuals can afford use expensive softwares like photoshop or cad/cam … The service provider should have a backup of the huge data in case of any eventualities the same way we have in our software companies. If this is the case even a simple iPad or smart phone could be powerful machine in hand as it is just used to access the data and softwares which are online.
But the disadvantages being the individuals should have high speed internet access and it will be a huge initial investment for the service provider. They will have to buy these hard disks in the order of Zetta(10 power 21) bytes. And also get approval from the software companies to distribute them on shared basis on internet. However I believe this will be an advantage for the software providers too.

In the years to come I am quite curious to see if such a provision will be available for common man like us when computer & internet becomes a basic amenity like food, water and shelter. I hope I'll be using these services sometime soon and getting a top-up whenever I need new software for a particular time and stop it when I don't need it anymore. Or I can ask them to add a 20GB to my account while I pay for it with my credit card! Ahh sounds like fun on the tip of fingers!!

PS: I am gonna sue them for copyrights showing this blog if someone comes up with such a technology :P .. hehe

Critics and suggestions are most welcome guys in the comment section! Thanks.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment