Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My first interview for the last turning point of life !

Tring.. Tring.. I didn't move an inch. Tring..Tring.. I woke up from fresh sleep and realized it was the door bell. I lighted my mobile to see the time. It was 10pm, I went to the living room to open the door to find it was a post man with a chit like thing in his hand ready to hand over it to me. ‘It’s a telegram sir’ he said. I was surprised to hear it, I used to think telegrams are extinct. I grabbed it from him and it read ‘Father serious, open heart surgery in 2 days, start soon’. Jesus Christ! but why a telegram, they could have called me on my mobile. I signed the postman’s acknowledgement and rushed to my bed room to call home. My home is in a small village where there are no mobile networks still. There are only few land-lines of which my home is lucky to have one.

I called the landline many times, but no one was picking up. I thought everyone might be at hospital. I searched in Google for phone numbers of hospitals at my village and another Google window to book the cheapest flight available to Bangalore. (My village is just 2 hours drive from Bangalore). I quickly dropped a mail to my manager about the news and about my absence for few days. I also mentioned the fact about the poor signal at my village and that I’ll not be contactable (this line will drive him crazy for sure).

I tried many times calling my home, few hospitals while packing and while on the way. I was getting more and more worried with each unattended call !! I reached my home by 7 in the morning. People are surprised to see me. My uncle, aunt and my mom; they don’t look so depressed. It was hard to read them. I asked my mom slowly ‘is everything all right?’ She replied ‘How come you arrived so early? Beta I am so sorry. We lied to you. Actually your father is not ill.’ I was confused and tried to recollect the date. No it was not April 1st. ‘Then what was that telegram for?’ I added in an angry and frustrated tone. My mom showed me the way to my dad’s room and left for kitchen. I can see he was all fine and he just finished his coffee and paper.

I repeated the same questions to my dad. He smiled to me and said ‘we got a marriage proposal for you, it is really from a good family and more over the girl is the only child they have. We cannot afford miss it.’ I was spell bound, they are nuts!! Then I realized why they were not taking my call. Wow, they are genius, they could not act telling a lie on phone and that’s why a telegram. Old tactics!! ‘Dad you can’t do this to me. This is crazzzy! Can you at least imagine how much work is there on my head at office?’ I said getting the picture of my ugly manager on mind. ‘Go and fresh up, you need rest’ he added, gently running his palm on my head. I know they don’t talk much until I get cooled down. I had my shower and straight away went to bed closing the bed room door behind me.

I woke up in the evening, had my lunch+supper and my mom was ready with tea and gossips. She told all about her colleagues (she is a house wife and no women is employed there). So is the girl I am gonna see next day !! My mom started pestering me ‘Don’t you think you are getting late for marriage? It is our duty to get you married. If you wait for few more years no one will give you a girl ;-) ‘ (That's the biggest joke she can crack on me!! Actually she doesn't want to hurt me cracking menacing jokes :-) )

”ha ha ha ha .. big joke! .. now listen I am a big boy now, I really don’t need you to guide me still. When are your duties towards me gonna end ? You know what? These days dogs are also getting married, why not me? First of all I need to settle in my career. I have to get married one day, it’s inevitable, even God cannot save me from happening that.” I replied innocently, hoping the next day’s program would get cancelled. Without uttering a word she left the place giving a hard knock with her knuckles on my skull. It hurts, she is all bones !! I thought during these recession times, arranged marriage is not a bad idea as it comes handy with lot of dowry.

Water sprinkled and then splashed on my face. I was waken up forcibly at 8 the next morning, and was pushed into bath room, but there was no breakfast on table!! My mom whispered ”have it as much as you want in the girl’s home!! ” Ah, two birds for one stone, practical example! Recession has crept here also! My managers can learn a lot from her about cost cuttings. “Oops I wasted water and soap taking bath in our home ;-) ” I replied sarcastically.

They gave us a warm welcome as we entered their house. The girl’s mom walked in and served us with coffee. After half an hour of gossips, (I should call it a battle ground instead, as my mom was boasting about me and the girl’s mom was boasting about her daughter) the food arrived and the girl’s mom heaped up our plates. The more I denied, the more I was served, I tried the other way round also asking for more, but in vain.

After few minutes, they asked the girl to come and she arrived for a fashion parade. I waited till she took her seat to see her (Can you believe, for most of the married couples in olden days, this used to be the love at first sight amidst their parents, somehow it didn’t happen to me!). She was a beautiful tall woman. She stood 5’ 6” or 5’ 7”. She looked gorgeous in a white, green bordered sari worn in a typical Andhra style and was heavily adorned with gold (I can establish 2 jewelry shops with them in future ;-) ). She has got a shy smile with couple of wrinkles on her cheek. Her thick black hair was flooded with flowers like a bouquet. Her hands were almost covered with mehandi and bangles, concealing the only part where I can get the view of actual complexion of her skin, as the face looked artificial with lots of make up!! She started greeting ‘Namaste’ first to my dad, then to my mom and when it comes to me she gave a big smile. She must have got enough guidance or at least had enough experience on how to treat the guy and his parents. I came to know that this was her 6th such encounter and it was she who denied all the previous 5 cases!! What an embarrassing moment will it be for me if she denies me before I do?

There was a panel of judges to take my interview. My “may be in laws”, “my may be wife”, her brother and few other guests from their side were ready to shoot questions at me. First one came from her mom asking ‘you liked the coffee?’ I just nodded, perhaps it must be prepared by the girl, it wasn’t bad. Next her dad comes up ‘Where are you working at?’ I can read the next hesitating question on his mind about the salary. I waited a while anticipating for that question. Then I replied ‘TCS, I work as a s/w engineer’. Most of their faces looked confused, before I added ‘It’s a Tata Company’. They felt much relieved when they heard I work in some company which they are aware of!!

“What kind of work do you have in office other than signing papers?” the girl’s mom came up with her 2nd question. Signing the papers? When did I tell this? This must be my mom’s exaggeration. “And how many people work under you?” she added to the question. Typical question but I have to answer it with wit. Burping in between I gently replied ‘I work on a computer hitting the keys for most of the time and no one is above or below in a s/w industry. It’s all about team effort more than an individual’s play’.

“Ah computers?” She instantly replied “If you don’t mind could you please do something to make our computer work which my son bought just 4 months back?” she asked me very pleasingly. I didn’t want to take any risk. I had to gently deny it patiently explaining that my job in office is more related to s/w than hardware of computers. I can read questions on their face as their eyebrows frowned, doubting my capability and knowledge on computers!!

Abruptly interrupting the conversation the girl said “I wanna speak to him in person if there is no objection (that is what I wanted to ask after some time to tell her all about how it happened!)”. No one said anything, smiles everywhere! I followed her into a room in the back yard. It was much pleasant there except for the bangles and anklets sound when she moved her limbs. I was totally dumbstruck; I couldn’t find a single topic in the whole world to start with! Well she had many though. She was staring at my lips for a while, I was not feeling comfortable and I realized how girls must have felt when I stare at them ;-) . “Do you smoke?” She asked me. My goodness girls are girls; that’s the reason why she was noticing my lips!! My interrogation already started! What if I actually marry her? I said ‘no’. “Don’t lie, I have seen you smoking when you were in school itself!” she added with firm proof. Feeling nostalgic I replied fumingly “what!!? so you know me much before since I was in school. Now listen, I tried smoking some 10 times till now. But I am not a smoker. I don’t like smoking because I have smoke allergy!! (and not because it is injurious to health ;-) ) I have no reason to lie you because.. ” I was stuck here, I swallowed the second half of the sentence. What the hell I was saying. I should have lied na, I have no intention marrying her! Hell, I lost a golden opportunity.

So what I can create opportunities. “Okie I can read your next question on mind. Yes, I drink a lot, almost every day. I end up all my salary and one day I came to my room with the bill and bar owner behind me. I asked my roommate to pay it. When denied I bet him mercilessly. And one day I even tried to snatch his gold chain!! ” I added all masala possible enacting and imitating Bollywood villains. She was open mouthed for a while, her next and probably the final question came in a meek intimidated tone “Do you have a girl friend? Don’t misunderstand me but I heard almost all girls in Bombay have boyfriends”. This is the most expected question and I had a premeditated reply. So I replied without any second thought “What do you mean? I’ll show you thousands who doesn’t have a boy friend or a girl friend in Bombay. I don’t have a girl friend; I have two instead ;-) . I am being so frank because its better if I tell bad about me than you hear it from someone outside”. Oh my God I was so professional in lying; even a lie detector machine will have to fail ;-) I felt like patting my shoulders. I gave her every reason to hate me and cancel the proposal :-)

I left for Bombay hoping everything would happen as I planned. Two days later I got a call from my dad saying “they were happy with you and the girl also quoted that you are very truthful and that she is ok with you” I was so depressed and helpless as I felt my last turning point of life is just before me when he added “..almost everyone was ok with the girl, I am not sure why your mom didn’t like the girl and cancelled it without telling a reason”. ‘Yes!’, I hanged the phone down and jumped on my cot overjoyed, my head almost touching the ceiling fan.

Now you must be wondering what could be the mystery behind her denial :-) While returning from home I tricked my mother saying “Mom, I want to marry someone who is more beautiful than you ;-) ” Which she or any other woman can never find ;-) New tactics!! .. haha 

No comments:

Post a Comment